Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Task 9: Save for the Future.

Joel and I are probably middle of the road when it comes to saving. We don't have any debt (except for that whole mortgage thing). We have a savings account that has actual money in it. I say that is pretty good. But the thing i like to budget into our lives the most is travel. Its my essential. So when i thought of saving for the future, i immediately thought of this summer and how my plans have grown monetarily a bit or maybe a lot.

So my 2 summer adventures are: Key West & Alaska. Joel had asked me a couple of weeks ago if I could make a budget for these 2 excursions, but usually I will make a whining noise and ask if I have to...because when it comes to adventure I do not like to be limited. at all. But I considered it and I thought maybe just this once I could try this whole budgeting thing out. Just this once...Here is the break down (Keep in mind when you see this budget, that for the remainder of the year we will most likely be eating oatmeal, but I'm alright with that.)


Fly to Miami and then drive down to the Keys and back:
Flight: $520 total.
Car: $300 (including gas)
Hotel: Key Largo - $150
Key West - 2 nights/$350 (its expensive down in those parts...)
Miami - $85 (thank you megan and that you work for hyatt)
Food: $200 (i am good at eating cheap)
Extras: $150 (maybe some snorkeling or something along those lines)
Total: $1755 (whoa momma, but my tan will make it worth it)



Juneau, Alaska!!
Air: $1115 total (thanks to a buddy pass from my cousin)
Hotel: $0 (since my cousin lives there in a cozy condo)
Food: $300 (i might want some seafood)
Excursions: $200 (whale watching perhaps?)
Total: $1615 (come on tax refund, obama would approve)

So there you go I did it. I don't feel that limited. I can budget. I can budget.

Next...
Task 10: Live in the Present.

2 comments:

  1. take me! i'll pay you one HUNDRED dollars if you take me [on both] ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. um and how priceless you will get to meet ivy on the way to the keys?!
    you are excellent with the delicious food on the cheap.

    ReplyDelete